Tuesday 17 September 2013

September 2013

Heh, with no events to drive postings/updates I found myself wondering what to write about but, at the end of the day, it's pretty easy. Running. That's what this blog is all about after all. So...

September 2013...(didn't start this monthly update until the 18th...)

30th September
Total mileage for September 2013 - 43 miles. That sets the benchmark, I guess....low but, what with my "injury" and voluntary rest, it could be worse :).

The Spartathlon was this weekend :) Maybe next year...



My German lessons are about 11km away from home so I've taken to taking the Ubahn (underground) there and running back. It's a nice run that crosses the old Danube and the new, goes past the Prater and the UN before crossing the Danube canal into the first district of Vienna. Takes about an hour (my PB is 1 hour 2 minutes) and has a lot of opportunities for breaks (pedestrian crossings etc) which give me time to stretch.


As I was running yesterday (the 17th) I could feel some twinges, a few aches and pains in my shins, and I still can't curl my left big toe so I'm thinking about taking a rest day today - which means, I hope, that I won't....but I might...it's raining as well...almost.

What I need is to re-establish a pattern of running that compliments the run back from Rennbahnweg. incorporates some "official" rest days and still returns about 50 to 60 KM per week. It's a work in progress....

Well, bugger! Sort of. I was running back from German today (18th Sept) and got to about 3.5km when the aches became too much. I could kinda sense that if I continued the ache would move to pain so I called it a day. I'm gonna take the next two days off now and try again on Saturday. It could just be my legs getting used to the new insoles. That's my hope anyway. Oh, I also took the precaution of popping into my local decent shoe shop and getting some cheap-ish insoles (that provide support for my high arches) for my walking boots.

25th September..

Picked up my shoes again and went for a very slow, fairly short (4.5km) run along the canal. My stride still feels strange but the run felt OK and I was able to sprint and stretch. I'm beginning to suspect that I really need to vary my speed a lot more, and work in more hills, so as to avoid only being able to run at XX speed all the time. Food for thought..well, for me anyway.

26th...

Did a run around the Ring with Lila. Went real slow, stretched a lot along the way and it felt pretty good. Whilst the Ortho said it'd take about 5 hours to get used to the new insoles I reckon it's gonna take three to four times that. Still, things are much better now (with them) than before (without them).

No comments:

Post a Comment